16.7.10

bridge to nowhere

So this week I was pretty psyched about the readings and the exercises because the types of commands that are in MySQL make sense to me (pretty much). I think MySQL might work how my own brain works. I kept thinking, Maybe you should have been a programmer, or a database engineer or something. You've got this!

And then I tried to create my own, extraordinarily simple database proposal regarding three images. Three. And I cannot tell you how frustrated I got! It's not too often that I feel that inadequate. I kept drawing tables and writing in entities, then decided that they were attributes, then decided, no, they're values. My head was spinning in circles about what, exactly, to do with the attributes. Do they get their own tables? Doesn't that make them entities? And all the foreign keys, when should they come into the picture? Arrrrrrrgh!

On top of that, my "simple" database just got more complicated when I realized that I ended up with a many-to-many relationship between two tables-- one art piece was created by two people, because one died partway through painting it. I knew I had to make a bridge table to connect the piece table and the creator table, which I thought I did... but since it wasn't recognized as a bridge, I think I need to revisit that concept a bit. Stupid artist, why did you have to die right then? Now you've ruined my life.

Oh, well, he couldn't help it, I guess. I think what's in store for me is re-reading and /or re-watching some of the stuff on database modeling, to build a better bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment